This is an unprecedented job market. To find and land your job, you need to know the right way to conduct a search. If the first step you took in your search was to update your resume, you missed a few steps and are sabotaging your own job search efforts.
- Attitude: Process the loss, accept the change, and have a good attitude. You can’t fake it
- Competitive Edge: Know the right job for you and what makes you better than your competition
- Market Plan: Know who is hiring and where you want to work
- Marketing Materials: Develop your marketing materials; there is more to it than just a resume
- The Method: Network into your target companies. On-line job boards (ex. Monster.com) have only 15% of the available jobs and only 10% of job seekers find their jobs through the job boards. Seventy-five percent of job seekers successfully find a job through networking and it is through networking that you will tap into the other 85% of the available jobs
- Next Steps: Your next job will not be your last; you will be on the job market again. Take this chance to learn the right way to conduct a search and know what to do once you are employed
Be sure to check out the books listed below. These are great resources for the various stages of the search.