Recruiters place as many, if not more, people in the 4th quarter than any other time of the year. And search firms or recruiters only account for 11% of how people find jobs; other approaches are even more successful. There are numerous factual reasons behind this timing phenomenon but that is for another article.
- Know the concise answer to how you are unique why they should hire you.
- Have ready to use over 70 specific stories (STARs) that illustrate your skills, abilities, and former accomplishments (past success is the best predictor of future success).
- Know and use your actual top strengths according to Strengths Finder (too many job seekers give the same answer as everyone else- I’m a people person, hard worker, quick study…)
- Know the job title you are pursuing and do not pursue more than 2 different roles (casting a wider net actually lessens your chance of success)
- Have a resume developed with a good format AND content based upon a broad selection of job postings for that type work. (90% of resumes do not make it passed keyword software)
- Know the right way to find jobs (85% are hidden, in other words not posted online)
- Stay active in your search (finding the job is your job so you should be active 40 hours a week)